Thursday, July 9, 2009

A new lesson for Darlin'

I went out shopping for just a bit today. Darlin' ran to the front door practically trying to stick her nose through as I closed the door behind me. When I got in the car I heard her barking! That's the first time she barked when I left home. I left, didn't go back inside, and figured she would stop... hoped so anyway.

Gosh, in the time I was gone her behavior and attachment to me crossed my mind several times. I've watched enough dog behavior shows to know what I don't want! Seems I have to work on how much attention she gets and she's going to have to learn to be without me.

When I came home I heard her barking again. It seemed to have started after I opened my car door. She sounds so much like a hound dog with hollow sounding bark, not quite a bay, certainly different. I reached the top step half expecting to see her face in the glass again, but I didn't, I saw that she had both feet there and her face! Feet spread out with her nose practically against the glass! Next time I take my camera. It's funny, I just chuckled when I thought about it, but this can turn into a behavioral issue if I don't nip it in the bud.

I walked in and put my things away. Five excited dogs make getting to the kitchen table with groceries a chore, but I didn't speak, I just put my things away. She was so cute running around me, getting in front of me, so happy to see me! Good thing I had dark sunglasses on because it was hard not to look at her. It didn't take but a minute or two and all was quiet in the house. She's attached to me now, almost too attached. If that's the reason she stopped running the other night then that's a good thing, but I never could have seen this coming! Perhaps I should have. She's so fearful and fearful dogs have more anxiety issues that other dogs. It's going to take some work on both of our parts to get her to relax when I leave the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment